Tuesday, April 21, 2015

OB Visit - 31 Weeks

See, told you the appointments were coming in fast.

Today was a 31-week checkup. The first order of business was also the worst order of business: the weigh-in. I'm not really worried about what the number is, but I don't want to gain a bunch of weight suddenly and alarm anyone. But I'd gained something like five pounds in two weeks, which made me cringe. I talked to the midwife about it and she said "you've been kind of going up and down the past several weeks, so you're probably just making up for it now with the weight gain you should have seen before." That made me feel a little better. She also said to stay away from fruit juice and white bread and pasta, which seemed to be more like "it's not that big of a deal but if you need to try to do something about it, try this" advice rather than real advice. I also asked about whether I'd be eligible for a water birth, and she never really answered me definitively. She said she had to look at a few things, and pulled up my chart on the computer, but must have gotten distracted 'cause we moved on after that. It's not that big of a deal, I don't have my heart set on it, but I'm just starting to wonder what my options are. The hypertension might rule me out, but it's controlled just fine with medication so it's not necessarily a no.

Then she took my fundal height (right on target) and Dopplered me (I love that she's big enough now that you barely have to touch my belly with a wand and the heartbeat is loud and clear) and sent me on my way.

Then I spent about ten minutes with the receptionist, scheduling the first four of my fetal monitoring appointments. Starting in three weeks, I have to go in twice a week for a little over an hour so they can listen to Ivy. I'm trying to remember why it's so often - might be because of my age, or because of the hypertension. At any rate, I'll have to find some good books to read! Cory is coming to the first one but I doubt he'll go to any others, especially if they're just routine. I always have a little niggling worry at the back of my mind when I have to do a new test, but as long as I don't Google too much I should be fine. :)

1 comment:

  1. Chicken. Eat lots if it. It's lean but has a ton of protein to grow ms ivy. I made a ton of it and kept it in the fridge (boiled or sautéed) and grabbed it when I needed a snack.

    ReplyDelete