Monday, April 25, 2011

The Next Step

C completed his three months of Clomid, and on Friday he submitted another sample. The changes were negligible.

Today he had an appointment with his urologist, who shared the results and said "everything looks good except for motility." That was good news; I'd thought that the count and the morphology were crappy as well. So yay for that I guess.

C said that the urologist gave us the go-ahead to search out our own RE; he suggested OHSU and said that we don't need any referrals. I have a couple of options; I just need to do a bit more research. The urologist also said we might want to try artificial insemination first if we're worried about the cost of IVF; I'm not sure that'd be worth it if the sperm can't move but we'll see what the RE suggests.

We had small tentative conversations last night and today about the money issue, too. We took a hit this year in our taxes, and having a larger rent payment than the last place and having a car payment and that kind of thing is making C a bit worried that we're not going to be able to easily pay down another ten thousand dollar chunk of debt (that's more than half of our car). I worry about having the conversation "for real;" I'm always afraid in the back of my mind that he is going to decide it's not worth it to pay that much money just for the chance to get pregnant.

So in the meantime, I'll take another look at our RE options in Portland, and then once we visit them we can see if they can allay the fears about cost. I have confidence that ICSI will work, since as far as anyone can tell I have no fertility problems. But even though I feel good about moving onto the next step, actually being pregnant still feels so far off...

No comments:

Post a Comment